Thursday 17 July 2014

The Charity Spin-a-Thon


To give a bit of a back story, my mum (Debbie) was diagnosed with breast cancer in November 2012 and luckily she has now been given the all clear. When she recovered, she wanted to 'give something back' and so decided to sign up for a bike ride from London to Paris which some of my family and friends will also be taking part in!
It's 80 miles each day for four days so it'll be pretty hard going but I have every faith in them! I'll also be going but as part of the support team (think exploring France and having a few cheeky glasses of wine along the way!) so look out for upcoming blog posts about the trip.
In order to raise money for the trip, my mum organised a charity spin-a-thon at our local leisure centre (Parish Wharf). Efforts were concentrated towards raising money for a local charity, BUST (Breast Cancer Unit Support Trust) and thanks to everyone's support and hard work we managed to raise over £400!



So far, Team Recovery (above) has raised £10,000 for Breast Cancer Care and BUST! They are both brilliant charities - so please donate anything you can here




During the spin-a-thon, team recovery cycled on turbos for 80 miles (roughly 4 hours) and 1 hour spin classes took part alongside them. We also had a raffle and cake stall with prizes and treats donated by local businesses and friends.









I mainly helped out on the stalls with the cakes and raffle tickets but I wasn't going to pass up getting on the bike when it was my turn! For anyone who hasn't been to a spin class, they're really hard work but definitely worth it. I get a lot more out of these classes than something like pilates or going to the gym. They really push you hard but I'd definitely recommend them!

Hollie Mae

Links




No comments:

Post a Comment